In India, the data analytics industry is booming like never before. Professionals skilled in deciphering and extracting insights from data are in high demand and command hefty paychecks. In tech hubs like Gujrat Data Analyst courses in Ahmedabad are on the rise!
What Is Data Analysis? Data analysis inspects, cleans, transforms, and models data to discover useful information, draw conclusions, and support decision-making. It includes several techniques and methods for assessing data of qualitative and quantitative nature deriving from different sources and formats. A Data Analyst is a professional who collects, processes and performs statistical analyses of data.
- Explosive Job Market: Job postings related to data analytics have seen a whopping 50% increase in the last year (source).
- Six-Figure Salaries: After completing a data analytics course, you can start earning a six-figure salary. With experience, this number grows even more (source).
If you're considering a career in data analytics, then you need to know the details like what employers look for, types of data analysts, etc. Here we will discuss:
What Is A Data Analyst?
A Data Analyst is a professional who collects, processes and performs statistical data analyses. Their work involves:
- Collecting data: This could range from sales figures to user engagement metrics.
- Processing and cleaning data: Ensuring data is reliable, accurate, and ready for analysis.
- Performing statistical analysis: Applying statistical techniques to interpret data sets.
- Making data-driven recommendations: Based on their analysis, they inform strategic decisions across various departments.
- Communicating results: Using data visualization tools, they make their findings plain and intelligible for non-technical team members.
Top 5 Types Of Data Analysts
1. Business Data Analyst
Job Role: A Business Data Analyst focuses on interpreting data in ways that help businesses make strategic decisions. They work with various stakeholders to understand their goals and determine how data can be used to achieve them.
How to Become: A degree in a related field (like statistics, mathematics, economics) and a good understanding of business strategies. Proficiency in data analysis tools and software is also necessary.
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree in a relevant field. A Master's degree or specialised certification in data analytics can be an added advantage.
Top Companies Hiring in India: TCS, Infosys, Accenture, Amazon, Flipkart
2. Financial Data Analyst
Job Role: They deal with financial data to assist in shaping a company's financial strategy. This involves analysing financial trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations incurred to predict future revenues and expenses.
How to Become: A degree in finance or a related field and strong analytical and statistical skills. Knowledge of data analysis software is crucial.
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics, or a related field. Relevant work experience or certifications can be beneficial.
Top Companies Hiring in India: Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, HDFC, ICICI
3. Marketing Data Analyst
Job Role: Marketing Data Analysts aid in forming effective marketing strategies by interpreting complex data sets. They forecast marketing and sales trends and measure the effectiveness of marketing programs and strategies.
How to Become: A degree in Marketing or a related field, strong analytical skills and proficiency in data analysis software.
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field. Experience in marketing analytics or a similar role can be a plus.
Top Companies Hiring in India: HCL, Wipro, Amazon, Zomato, Swiggy
4. Operations Data Analyst
Job Role: Operations Data Analysts identify the best ways to increase productivity and improve product quality. They study operational data and use it to help the company operate more efficiently.
How to Become: A degree in Business, Operations Management, or a related field, along with strong analytical skills and experience with data analysis software.
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree in Business, Operations Management, or a related field. Experience in operations analytics can be beneficial.
Top Companies Hiring in India: IBM, Accenture, Wipro, Amazon
5. Healthcare Data Analyst
Job Role: Healthcare Data Analysts help make informed decisions about healthcare direction and policy. They analyse patient data, healthcare costs, and pharmaceutical data and use it to improve patient care.
How to Become: A degree in Health Informatics, Public Health, or a related field, along with analytical skills and proficiency in data analysis software.
Eligibility: Bachelor's degree in Health Informatics, Public Health, or a related field. Experience in healthcare analytics can be an advantage.
Top Companies Hiring in India: Apollo Hospitals, Fortis Healthcare, Medanta, AIIMS
Skills Required To Become A Data Analyst
Data Analysts need a unique blend of skills to excel in their roles. These encompass both technical capabilities and soft skills. Here are some of the key skills required for a Data Analyst:
- SQL: It's the bread and butter for any data professional. It helps you interact with databases, run complex queries, and extract and filter the needed data. Tools like MySQL and PostgreSQL are commonly used.
- Python: An incredibly versatile language, Python is loved by data analysts worldwide for its readability and a vast selection of libraries. Key libraries include Pandas for data manipulation, matplotlib for data visualisation, and SciKit-learn for machine learning.
- R: Specifically designed for statisticians, R is another go-to language for data analysts. R is great for exploratory work and has numerous packages for specific tasks. RStudio is a popular tool used along with R.
- Excel: This might seem basic, but Excel's powerful features are perfect for data cleaning and manipulation, statistical analysis, and even predictive modelling. Excel's PivotTables, for instance, is used for data exploration and discovery.
- Tableau: Data visualization is crucial in a data analyst's job, and Tableau leads the pack in this arena. It's a powerful tool for transforming raw data into understandable, interactive visuals.
- SAS: Widely used in professional settings, SAS offers an array of statistical functions and has a good GUI for people not familiar with programming.
- Apache Hadoop: For big data processing and storage, Hadoop is essential. It allows for the distributed processing of large data sets across clusters of computers.
These technical skills form the building blocks of any successful data analyst's toolkit. By mastering these, you'll be well on your way to a thriving career in data analysis.
Essential Qualities Recruiters Look for in a Data Analyst
Data Analyst positions are sought-after roles in the technology industry, and recruiters are on the lookout for a range of skills and attributes in potential candidates.
Here are a few things recruiters usually look for:
- Educational Background: A degree in a quantitative field like Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, or Computer Science is often desirable. Some companies may also require a master's degree or specialized certifications.
- Technical Skills: Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, R, and SQL is critical. Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau and Power BI, and knowledge of Excel and other data management systems is also necessary.
- Analytical Skills: A keen analytical mind is essential for interpreting complex data sets and drawing meaningful insights. This extends to a strong foundation in statistics and a good understanding of machine learning techniques.
- Problem-Solving Skills: Data analysts are often required to address complex business problems. The ability to think critically and provide effective solutions is highly valued.
- Experience: While entry-level roles may be available for fresh graduates, many roles require some level of experience in the field. This could be through internships, co-op placements, or prior job roles.
Enrolling in one of the best Data Analytics Certification Courses provided by TOPS Technologies is a guaranteed way to land a high-paying job!
The data analytics field in India is witnessing a massive surge with a noteworthy salary scale above the industry average. Recent studies reveal a salary hike of over 15% for data analysts, indicating a promising future for aspirants in this domain.
In such a thriving field, a specialized course from a renowned institution can give you a competitive edge. TOPS Technologies
, with its practical-oriented training and industry-led curriculum, prepares you for the ever-evolving data-driven landscape. Enroll in courses like Data Science Course in Ahmedabad, Data Analytics course, etc and master this field!
What does a data analyst do?
A data analyst collects, processes, and performs statistical analyses on large data sets. They discover how data can be used to answer questions and solve problems.
What qualifications do I need to be a data analyst?
Typically, a bachelor's degree in a related field like statistics, mathematics, or computer science is required. Proficiency in data analysis software and programming languages such as SQL or
Python is also vital.
Is Data Analysis hard to learn?
While data analysis does require a certain set of technical skills, with consistent learning and practice, anyone dedicated can master it.
What is the salary of a data analyst in India?
The average salary for a data analyst in India varies based on experience and skills but generally ranges from INR 3,50,000 to INR 10,00,000 per annum.
What are the career prospects for a data analyst?
With the rapid digitization of businesses, the demand for data analysts is soaring. Career prospects are bright with opportunities in sectors like healthcare, finance, retail, and more.